Friday 11 March 2011

Hand Made Chain and the Tadema Gallery

One of the many projects we have to do for school is chain making. It is something, apparently, that you will either love or hate. I am in the love category - I love making fiddly things and you can't get much more fiddly than making and soldering each and every link in a chain...

The Tadema Gallery in Islington sells high end vintage jewellery, and I spend hours looking at their website - going over the archives of Arts and Crafts or Art Deco pieces.

One of the chains I am working on is inspired by an Arts and Crafts fancy link chain. I'm using copper... But I think I might get it plated when it's finished.




The size in the picture is pretty accurate - I have used 0.9 mm wire, width of links is 3 mm, length of an oval link is 11 mm, so it's quite fine, extremely fiddly, and really fun to make. I have 29 cm (11.5 inches) so far...

2 comments:

  1. That looks great Tania. I just don't know how you have the patience! I'm sure I'd be in the "hate it" category! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You talking about not having patience... That's funny :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...