I was really pleased with the design of these earrings. I used quite a fetching piece of crackle pottery and shaped it into a drop, and decided I liked it upside down.
The problem happened when I oxidised the piece - the pottery shard absorbed some of the oxidising solution, and turned grey! I tried to rescue the second piece of pottery by removing it from the bezel before oxidising - and broke it :-(
I need to find a way of sealing the cut edges of the shards before I set them, so that it doesn't happen again.
So I have ended up with earrings which I will have to fix - but grinding a piece of pottery to fill a ready made setting is quite tricky, and I don't have enough of that nice crackle shard for two new cabochons...
They would have been nice though!
|Here you can see the cab turning grey round the edges |
where it absorbed the oxidising solution
|This is the only piece of that crackle pottery I have left, |
not enough for two earrings!