Friday 20 January 2012

A Few of my Favourite Tools #1

We are all tool junkies, and my collection of useful (and some not so useful it turns out) tools grows monthly, but I thought I'd share some of the tools that have changed my work for the better, and that I wouldn't be without.

Looping pliers - I make my own jump rings, and with these pliers I can make consistent sizes. They are also handy for simple ear wires. I made most of my handmade chains using these. They were bought in Cookson.



Sanding Rolls - I first saw these being used by Andrew Berry in his very excellent training videos to which I subscribe - and they are in constant use. The finish on my work is much better since I started using them.
They come in 3 different grades, and I use them all.
You can make your own with a split pin and some emery paper, but these are inexpensive and come in packs of 10 which last for a very long time. Also from Cookson.



Fiskars Soft Touch Micro Tip Scissors - These were recommended in one of the jewellery newsletters I get - for cutting bezels. I use these for cutting fine silver bezels (no need to file), and also for cutting sheet silver up to 0.45mm thick. I used to use Gilbows but these are smaller and more precise. I know they won't stay sharp forever at this rate of use, but for now they are a great time saver. I bought these on Amazon.



Optivisor Glasses - I think I also saw these being used by Andrew Berry, but I have reached the age where your eyes are not quite what they used to be.... Anyhow, a little help seeing the small details is welcome, and these are always to be found firmly on my head when I am working.... Also from Cookson




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...