Thursday 3 March 2011

School project in progress - Art Deco inspired piece

Project is to take a figure from history, and use that as a stepping stone to design a new piece of jewellery. My figure is Wallis Simpson. From her I reached Art Deco, and found that I quite liked some of the designs, especially ones by Jacob Bengel.

One of the recurring motifs are graduated steps, so I used these as my visual reference.











I played around with some ideas, then it came to me - I could make them into stylized bees. This was probably to keep myself interested in the project - I like making creatures. Here is the very first idea sketch:
















And the second:















Then came the model making - we had to have these cast, not fabricated - part of the brief...
There is no way I was going to carve this in wax, so I made the model in copper and fimo.















I then made a mould in two-part silicon, and tried to cast the wax myself. It wasn't really successful - each time I tried, a different part came out well, the rest - with problems...














So - I had to take it in to have a 'cold mould' made - expensive :-(

























Next -  I had the pendant cast in silver. Here I have already cut off the sprue, partly polished it and soldered on jumprings to connect it to the chain:

















I made an Art Deco style chain out of sterling silver tube, with jumprings soldered onto each end, and another wax cast element that will form part of the clasp:




















To finish off the piece, I will need to add some beads (amber), polish, oxidize and finish working out how the clasp will work...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...