Thursday 14 July 2011

The Cult of Beauty at the V&A

Thankfully I managed to get to see the exhibition before it ends on this Sunday!

I've always loved the pre-raphaelites, they and Aubrey Beardsley are responsible for my love of redheads, and Beardsley was the very first artist I really admired, way back when I was a teenager.

Today I got to see some of his actual artwork, by his very hand, and it was amazingly beautiful. No book reproduction can really do it justice. Some if his lines are so fine, you wonder how he made them.

The piece of work that most impressed me though was by Charles Ricketts, (in sepia below).
The original is tiny - again you wonder how he could have drawn it, and how long it must have taken him...

I was a bit disappointed by the jewellery, there wasn't that much and the pieces were not as wonderful as I would have imagined, but there were plenty of other things to look at.

Photography wasn't allowed, but  I found my two favourite images online.

Websites:
The Cult of Beauty at the V&A
Charles Ricketts



Click for a larger image

Click for a larger image

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...