Monday, 13 February 2012

Enamelled Roman Brooch Project #2

The results are much more rustic than I had imagined...

I have learned that next time I need to do a much deeper etch, as the layer of enamel left over after stoning was way too thin, showing he copper underneath in places - not good. (See the brooch on the left - at the top). I will also use slightly thicker copper in the future.

On the bright side - the colours are nice, I like the designs, and I see potential in this technique.

Here is an example of how the red brooch looks before and after oxidising the copper:

I didn't do a last firing on these to re-glaze the enamel - because I could already see the enamel was too thin and would probably have burnt out. 
But - this was a good exercise - there is so much to learn!

On to the next one...

1 comment:

  1. Tania,
    They look pretty good for the first time. They have the well worn look. I kinda like the bright and shinny look, but I'm like a Magpie bright and shinny gets my attention. Looking forward to seeing round two.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...