Saturday 8 December 2012

Combed Slipware Cufflinks

Have been meaning to make some cufflinks for ages, and finally got round to it, as I was on a mission.
They are made out of Staffordshire combed slipware pottery shards, which you can find more information about on the lovely mudlarking blog here.

I don't use these shards very often as they are usually very thick, and need lots of grinding down before I can use them, which takes ages. I wish I had some proper lapidary machinery!

There were a few more technical challenges than I had imagined - especially while I was setting the shards. I had to find something that would hold them securely enough without damaging the mechanism, and after trying a few different methods ended up using some Thermo Loc which did the job nicely.

Anyway - here they are, the second picture shows the kind of shards they are made out of.

I'll be making more!

My very first cufflinks!


3 comments:

  1. These are so cool! I love these cufflinks, and the shards are such a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great - almost Arabic and as ever you choose exactly the right 'slice' Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work ! cufflinks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...