Thursday 19 November 2020

Another Cloisonne Project - "Simple" Earrings

 Another few hours of learning - I decided to make a pair of earrings from a tutorial by Sandra MeEwen.
It was so I could learn her techniques without worrying about design - I pretty much just followed her sample.

A pair of simple round cloisonne spirals, in blue and green. 

I tried fusing fine silver for the first time, using some fusing solution made from Copper Acetate and Klyr Fire (instructions on YouTube). First attempt went wrong as I forgot you are meant to do the fusing from below, but the second time (after re-making the components I had melted) it worked just fine. 

In the tutorial the earrings were made with holes for the ear wires. I decided to make things difficult for myself and soldered on jump rings. This made the grinding much trickier, and eventually brought about the demise of one of the earrings. 

Anyway - it all went quite well and I was especially  happy learning Sandra's finishing techniques, which will be very useful. 

My main mistake though was that I used silver that was too thin, so when I ground down the excess enamel and wires, the remaining enamel was very thin. She used 0.8 mm sheet, I only had 0.5 mm. 

The first earring came out reasonably ok apart from being too thin. 

The second earring was ok until the jump ring fell off, and I tried to solder it back on. That made most of the enamel turn black... 

Lovely. Not.

The other lesson I learned was that I need to use gum to stick the cloisonne wires in place before putting in the kiln, as they moved out of place when I set them down. I did a 'creative workaround' with the design (on the second, doomed earring) but that shouldn't have happend. 

I might try again, this time with the correct thickness of silver, and see if I get a better result. 


The better one on the left

Close-up of the better sample

Close-up of the doomed sample




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...